Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - judge orders release of names and email addresses for defamatory posts
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I can see both sides of it, but i have to agree with you. The fact is the internet has become such a massive part of society it's rediculous. What will the internet be like in 10yrs, at some point some guidelines of dercorum need to be implemented otherwise it's only gonna get worse. I mean taunting and degrading on the internet has led to suicides. That in and of itself should be a warning sign. But how does it get regulated or implemented on a regular basis. It's not easy to do with something so vast, with little to no precedence.
my issue is not so much with taunting, bullying, etc, and more to do with things like slander, defamation and libel. i'm thinking of public figures - politicians, leaders of industry, etc having smear campaigns and outright lies perpetuatted against tham that damage public reputation and trust. not to say that these people are more important, but that the scale of the defamation creates an unsustainable public sphere.

that said, the smaller scale issues that you mentioned likely need to be addressed as well. there is a piece about public decorum that is obviously missing from the web, but the basics of libel law need to come first.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote