Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Doug Smith: Bargnani's all hype
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 01:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

The problem with the hype that is associated with Andrea is that it was substantiated by personality tests and other cognitive reports I could never understand. If you recall, there was an article a while back that tried to define the it factor and establish how Bargnani's potential ran off the charts. If you're interested in the read, it is a highly interesting and informative article - you can find it here.

Part of the issue is that we have all seen glimpses of greatness from him. Certain mannerisms or plays that reveal a possible basketball giant in slumber. And granted, all young players have flashes of brilliance that we can admire, but Andrea supporters insist that some of the things he does, he really shouldn't be capable of doing.

Andrea may be a natural basketball talent, the type of player that fundamentally or instinctually feels the essence of the game. Perhaps spending a year absorbing new information and fundamentals has clouded his ability to simply tap into his talent. Sometimes when you're thinking too much about the steps, you trip over your own feet. This really all is speculation on my part, but I think Andrea really is trying to figure out who the heck he is on the court. I don't think it's hype so much as it was expecting too much in too little time.
lang is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote