Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Olympic Hockey Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #172 (permalink)
XiaominWu
------------------------

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
honest question here - why was this game such a big deal? yes we won, it was a high level game, and it was intense. i agree with all of that. but why is this any bigger than other olympic wins? or other big international wins? canada is a team that is expected to medal, so why is this in such a defining moment? why will we look back on this and remember what we were doing at the time anymore than we would with the win in 2002?

i'm happy, of course, but the talk is surpring to me. cbc had ron maclean, margaret macmillan and john ralston saul (quite a big-time panel to be honest) on this morning talking about it being a defining moment in canadian history, and i still don't get why. ralston saul's point was that it was a time when canadians of all creeds, colours, religions, nationalities, etc came together to celebrate, wear flags, shout and be heard, and on that level i understand what he is getting at. but in terms of longer-term sports and hockey fans, i am having trouble understanding why this is so important. what sets this apart from 2002? home ice?
I think, at this point, it hardly matters why..... the fact is that it did unify our entire country. Maybe we, as a nation, really needed that and latched on to this in a way that went over the top. But I'm glad it happened.
XiaominWu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote