Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Most Lopsided Trades in (recent) NBA History
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
MangoKidHoops
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..

Representing:

Let's look at these deals:

1) Grizz trade Gasol to the Lakers for Kwame Brown, Crittendon, Marc Gasol (!), McKie, and 2 1st round draft picks.
It looks bad right now because the Lakers are making a run for it, and Pau looks energized. But let's be real here - this guy was languishing in Memphis and got them nowhere in the playoffs. I don't think they even won a playoff game. Since the deal, he's been playing out of his mind. In my honest opinion, it's not that bad of a deal. The 2 draft picks they can package, Brown comes off the books creating more cap space and the younger Gasol I think will be a very solid player.

2) Raptors send Carter to the Nets in exchange for Eric Williams, Aaron Williams, Mourning and two first-round draft picks.
This was a fleece job at the time and in terms of talent at the moment of the deal. Aaron Williams was essentially dealt for 2nd round picks which I think were dealt to Detroit for Delfino. Eric Williams was part of the deal for Rasho, Mounring was a total write off, one of the first round picks was acquired to select Joey Graham and the other was dealt to New York for cap space. I think that pick was Renaldo Balkman, or you could say that it was cap space for Anthony Parker.
Break it down, it looks like this: Carter for Delfino, Nesterovic, Graham and Parker/Balkman - not great by any means, but better than what it originally seemed. It also enabled us to net Colangelo, cause if that Carter deal turned out to be fantastic, Babcock would still be the GM. Since being acquired by Jersey, Carter still hasn't made it out of the 2nd round and is now a whiney malcontent.

3) Sonics trade Pippen to the Bulls for Olden Polynice.
Pretty bad trade in hindsight. Polynice did nothing before being shipped off to the Clippers and Pippen became one of the NBA's 50 Greatest players of all-time.

4) Suns trade Nash to the Mavericks for Muursepp, Bubba Wells, the draft rights to Garrity and a first round draft pick.
The only thing that alleviated the sting was the fact the Suns reacquired Nash as a FA a few years later

5) Hornets send the rights for Kobe to the Lakers for Vlade Divac.
If Kobe didn't pan out it would have looked like robbery for Charlotte. Divac was solid in Charlotte, but unfortunately, Kobe turned into one of the best players of all-time.

6) Bucks trade the rights to Tractor Traylor to the Mavericks for the rights to Nowitzki and the rights to Garrity.
Tractor Traylor is now trying to make a comeback and Nowitzki is a perennial MVP candidate. Smokeshow by the Mavs GM at the time.

7) Sixers trade Barkley to the Phoenix Suns for Hornacek, Tim Perry and Andrew Lang.
Barkley insisted he wanted out of Philly, but this wasn't that bad of a deal for the Sixers at the time. Hornacek was coming off an all-star season, Perry was an emerging wingman entering his prime (his last year in Phoenix he averaged over 12 points and 7 boards). As for Lang.. well, he was a big body. He was 25-26 and averaging close to 7 and 7 per game. Those dudes never panned out and well, Barkley became an MVP and the Suns a perennial contender for years.

8) Hornets send Baron Davis to the Warriors for Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis.
Yeah.. I don't know about this deal. Hornets were out to lunch on this one.

9) Heat trade Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant, and a 1st round pick to the Los Angeles Lakers for Shaquille O'Neal.
If the Lakers had kept Caron Butler, this deal would be quite even. Then again, Butler turned into Kwame Brown which turned into Pau Gasol. Sure, Shaq lead Miami to a title, but he fell off after that.. and later turned into Shawn Marion. I'd call this even maybe even in favour of LA, especially if the Lakers win the championship

So, in turn, the worst deals in all of this are:

1) Pippen-Polynice
2) Traylor-Nowitzki
3) BDavis-Claxton/DDavis

Last edited by MangoKidHoops; 06-04-2008 at 06:12 PM.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote