Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Canada vs USA
Thread: Canada vs USA
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #45 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
+1

Armchair, i know all of that but imo it means little to nothing. For a country that boasts to be the best Hockey nation in the world and to have such little Olympic success is still a punch in the gut. Even if you look at since 1998 when NHL players played for everyone we've not dominated at all, including not medaling at all in 2006. I understand what you're saying about the way things were back then, and i'll say it all contributes to some of the lack of success, i don't see it as black and white. We underachieved to a great degree and haven't faired much better since the mid-late 90's either.
Yes, and I conceded that, at the olympic level (use of NHLers) the world has caught up. People shouldn't be boasting about being the "best Hockey nation", unless they add the necessarily qualifications to the statement. That is, we have the most DEPTH of talent. But, in a tournament like the 2010 Olympics, it is ridiculous for anyone to assume Canada would definitely win Gold. Even making it to the final would be extremely hard, given the talent on the 5-6 of the other teams.

In the final analysis, you and I agree that people shouldn't be making bold assumptions about the Canadian men's olympic team. That's why I, too, was pissed off about them singing the anthem to the Americans at the restaurant. Where we disagree is the manner in which we explain why people shouldn't be over confident. You sometimes point to evidence that I don't accept as relevant. In the grand scheme of things, it's a minor point, since we draw a similar conclusion.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote