Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Should there be tolls in toronto?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #45 (permalink)
Benzo
hibernating

Retired Administrator

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
f2.5 million people live in toronto. another 2.5 milllion in the GTA. unless every single 905'er works in toronto and a significant portion of people in toronto either don't work or work outside the city, it can't possibly be said that 905'ers are the majority of the toronto workforce.

no question our public transportation needs to get better. the rates are high, and the service area is small.

but transportation to the core is actually very good, and it is quite easy to drive to the edge of the city, park in one of the lots, and take the subway downtown from there. many of my coworkers do this every day. it's the periphery of the city that is underserviced by the ttc, not the core.

and how is it that we are to get better public transportation if the same people that oppose tolls also oppose any tax increases? The ttc is woefully underfunded. this is not to say that it couldn't be run more efficiently.

yes, our system needs to be better, with more service and better efficiency.
yes, money needs to be better spent at city hall.

but neither of these are good reasons to ignore that pressure that all of the 905 traffic puts on the city. they are great arguments for reform at city hall and increased efforts to expand public transportation, but you have to do a lot better to convince me that waste and inefficiency is a good reason to just forget about it and squeeze as many cars into the city as possible.
GTA does not account for Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa, Aurora, Newmarket, Burlington, Oakville, etc...etc..need I go on?

The ttc is not underfunded, it is mismanaged primarily the fault of the union. we have been down this road.

I would hardly call our subway and streetcar system effective when navigating the core...we have 2 subway lines...2 ..
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote