Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Rap / Hip-Hop Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #368 (permalink)
zachus
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
I understand it 100%

I don't support it.

Period.
hey man -

I just find it hard to believe that the state of rough neighbourhoods can be blamed on hip-hop when there are so many other things to look to. These neighbourhoods were dangerous, and in most cases even more dangerous than today, before hip-hop was even an idea. The crack epidemic of the 80s came largely before the advent of gangster rap and rap that glorified the "thug" life. Just one example though. Besides, the vast majority of hip-hop listeners, the demographic keeping rappers and hip-hop record labels in business has been the white teenager in the suburbs. Take that as you will.

Moving away from the possibility of hip-hop as an alibi you've got so many other things present in the mainstream media that can be looked to as contributing factors. Movies that actually depict and glorify violence as opposed to narrating it, video games that allow you to take part in the violence, cartoons, tv shows, etc. The classic gangster films of the 70s and 80s glorified and promoted those lifestyles, yet they're seen as masterpieces, art, theatrical brilliance. How's it different?

That said I don't think hip-hop is totally innocent. Just one small piece in a large web of causes in a cause-effect relationship.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote