Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Small, backward thinking man.
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ligeia
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath

Representing:

The similarity between Germany and our present situation is not how their beliefs were carried out (undoubtedly different in the two circumstances and you won't hear me argue that), but rather that what is right can be defined by the culture. To say that it is right for them to be stripped of rights in Iran because it is right in that society is no different than to say that Jews should have been stripped of rights because it was right in Germany at the time.

I believe that there are universal rights and liberties that need to be extended to all people. The fact that they are, as of yet, unaware of their right to such things is irrelevant. Should they have such rights afforded to them and choose to decline in partaking in them, then that is perfectly fine as well. Right now, they are not being afforded the same rights.

Also, I think you are making a hasty generalization in deciding whether or not the women there feel oppressed. I'll grant you that not all are looking for an expansion of their liberties, but undoubtedly some deserving citizens are.

Last edited by Ligeia; 12-28-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote