Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Small, backward thinking man.
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
zachus
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
If you mean that there is bad logic behind the decision, then you are correct.

The reason I, as a Canadian, am commenting on it is because it reflects how a theocracy can seek to undermine people's rights and liberties, which I find impermissible no matter what country they were born in.

But your definition of rights and liberties is a longshot from an Iranian's definition of rights and liberties. My friend was born in Qatar and spent 12 years there - the women do not feel oppressed because not having what we deem rights and liberties is all they know. In many cases they're unaware of the freedom women have outside their country's borders. Persian women are taught the "secrets" of sex when they're married, no earlier. That's weird to us as Canadians where it's normal for girls to lose their virginity as early as 14, 15, 16. Unethical to not educate your women about sex? Maybe in Canada. It's just accepted as a way of life in Iran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
And we thought Hitler was crazy for killing Jews. I'm afraid I don't believe in such cultural relativism.

Hitler brainwashed the Germans into believing that a Jewish Holocaust was just, and that it was the answer to their country's problems. He brought prosperity to an otherwise impoverished Germany and essentially helped it regain all the power it had sullied after World War I. With that on his resume it was difficult for the average German not to believe that what Hitler was doing was not in the best interest of the country. Anyone who believed the opposite was taken care of. Different situation.

Last edited by zachus; 12-28-2009 at 07:57 PM.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote