Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Why I'm hoping Atlanta pulls off Game 7.
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Retired Administrator
Default Why I'm hoping Atlanta pulls off Game 7.

To paraphrase Sloan, it's not the team I hate, it's their fans. I am so sick of Boston fans and it goes way past the Celtics. People were all over Bibby when he said that the Boston fans were bandwagoners, but he was right. The place was empty a year ago and nobody was wearing any Celtics gear on the street and all of a sudden, everybody has been a Celtics fan their whole life. You can say what you want about Raptors fans, but even when this team was absolute shit (and they have been at various points), we still put a fair amount of bums in the seats. The novelty has worn off, the Raptors have been around for a while, so if you look back a couple of years and see how we were still going to games and buying memorabilia, at least we're in it till the end.

But yes, it extends beyond the Celtics. As a Habs fans, I was thrilled to have the rivalry back against the Bruins, but the way the Boston players, fans and coaching staff started talking was ridiculous. I think it's all a carry over from the Red Sox. These guys were losers forever, then they win the first World Series a few years ago and they turn into the most obnoxious people you could ever meet. Now, after winning their second in the past few years, their attitude makes Yankee fans look like saints.

Anyway, there is enough satisfaction even seeing this go to a Game 7, but it would be total icing on the cake to see the Hawks slap the Celtics (and to do it in Boston too). Even if Boston gets through this round, you have to wonder, if they can't beat the Hawks in Atlanta, how the hell are they going to beat the Pistons in Detroit? How are they going to beat the Lakers in LA or the Spurs in SA? If you thought Golden State knocking out the Mavs last year was big, this would be huge.
Jay is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote