Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Team Architecture: Good vs. Bad
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
TORaptor4Ever
"Fake All-Star"

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I'm gonna list things.

A. Ariza turned us down. He said we pursued him, but turned us down to play in Houston. Once that happened we turned to Turk. So yes, we went after Ariza. Actually, Ariza seemed to be option 1.
Fair enough. If that's the case then I withdraw the comment regarding Ariza.

Quote:
B. I'm tired of hearing about Marion. Both he and Turk offer different things. Marion had a piss poor run in Miami playing with Wade. I guarantee that put doubt into people's minds.
Who cares what Marion did in MIA??? Did his play here in Toronto not convince you of what he had to offer this team? We played some GREAT basketball over the last 10-15 games of last season. Oh yeah... I forgot... that was just because "the other teams didn't care anymore".

Quote:
C. Childs, Willis and Oak were all brought in by trades for Camby (who didn't want to be here anymore) and Childs was brought in for Mark Jackson who signed here when we were spurned by Cuttino Mobley and Maurice Taylor and decided on option 3 Mark Jacksson, who by that point was a shell of himself.
If it was a trade that brought them in then that was a hell of a trade. I wish to God that we could get even half that much for Bargs.

Quote:
D. Orlando got lucky drafting Dwight. They weren't supposed to win the draft really, but did and nearly screwed up what they got for T-Mac in return Cuttino and Francis.
No argument there.

Quote:
E. What is the evidence we didn't go after Barnes? I'm curious. Perhaps, he just didn't want to come here. I forgot you have the evidence.
I'm assuming that we didn't because I kept reading about Barnes ever since he left GS.... and how he wasn't getting a decent offer ($3-4M/yr) from ANY team. I assumed that that included us and I'd have GLADLY paid him that cash for what he brings to the table.

Quote:
F. Orlando right now is far more inviting for free agents because of what 'trane mentioned. The right players, sign to win contracts. That's why they sign in Orlando. The guys you're speaking of, i.e. money talks, play for money. Do you really want a bunch of guys who don't give a shit for this team?
In the long run? No. But you have to START with that, yes. Webber went to SAC for big bucks and eventually people wanted to go there. Once Dirk and Nash were in DAL, people wanted to go there (and Cuban wasn't shy about spending either).

Quote:
G. You're comparison of Minnesota and Toronto is close for this reason. Neither have really ever signed a big time FA, instead have had to trade for stars or draft stars. Under KG, Spree and Cassell were both brought in by trades. Toronto has signed who exactly?
This is an excellent example. In that year MIN really did a great job in bringing in EXACTLY the kind of help that KG needed. A dominant swingman and a very good PG. Has Bosh ever had talent like that to work with?

Quote:
H. Players choose to play Chicago because that's where Jordan was. It's a lure. NYC is the biggest market in the world for basketball. Boston has history etc. etc.
Granted all of that is true but there are only about 6-10 teams in the league that can claim mass appeal like that.

What exactly is Milwaukee's lure?

How about ATL's? (until the past 2 years obviously)
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote