Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Team Architecture: Good vs. Bad
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
TORaptor4Ever
"Fake All-Star"

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
it would help if we drafted one of the most imposing and athletic specimens since shaq and had a team in a warm city with no personal income taxes... now that's something to build around.

but we didn't have that. we had a nice star player who needs help around him in different ways. we are in a city that is widely considered to be an nba outpost in a cold climate. we have tried to get players who indicated that they don't want to play here. we have had 4 coaches in 6 years.

bc had a plan, and that plan was to build around Bosh with players that might be more accepting of playing in canada. he selected Bargs in what was a good pick (at the time, and in my mind is still a good pick). he made some mistakes in surrounding those guys with the right guys, but considering what was available he did a pretty good job. haywood was not available. noah was not available. marion was essentially unavailable given his cost, and ariza went to houston pretty darn quick.

the team is way below expectations, and clearly some things have to change. i am not an apologist, but i see the reality of the landscape he had to work with. yes, orlando built a good team, but i can say without any hesitation that d12, warm weather and no income tax is a pretty sweet starting point that we never had.
'trane..... players can say whatever they want to about "not wanting to go to a barren winter wasteland" but MONEY talks.

How many cities are like ORL or MIA or LA?

Not many.

If players can go to CHI, MIN, DET, IND, NY, NJ etc.... they sure as hell can come to T.O.

If we'd have offered Marion or Ariza Barg's money do you think that they would have turned it down?

Do you think that Hedo would have come here is we'd have offered him $8M/yr for 3 years? Not a chance in hell.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote