Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Why don't these idiots get that...
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

giant steps

Originally Posted by kia4ever View Post
honestly our team at time lacks basic basketball fundementals. I think that's because of the Europeans who are honestly talented but have never gone through the US highschool and college system that stresses fundementals before anything else. On other teams where there is only a few key european pieces like the Spurs, Mavericks the American players could pick up for the slack and there could be success but when your half your key players are europeans the problem becomes much more severe. Our team makes basic mistakes and frankly it's not up to an NBA coach to teach basics.
i can't believe i am reading this. it has been said for years that european players may not come with the flash and athleticism that american high school and college players have, but that in europe fundamental basketball is taught from an early age. all players develop ball handling, passing and shooting skills and a fundamental grasp of offensive and defensive philosophies. that's why you see so many european big men with good hands and so many american big men that can only rebound and dunk.

it is clear to me that defense is lacking in many european players - perhaps because of the different nature of the game compared to in north america (more zone defenses, fewer stars, more team play) - but the broad fundamental skills tend to be stronger in europeans and international players than in american ones. there are few one trick ponies coming from overseas.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote