Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Brian Colangelo, the Italian connection and bias?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
jaedenky77
chillin like a villain

Representing:
Default Brian Colangelo, the Italian connection and bias?

Hey Raptors fans, been lurking on this board for ages now and there's always been something that's bothered me but has never been brought up, so here goes:

I'm pretty certain that Brian Colangelo is of Italian descent, I've researched his last name and found that Colangelo is indeed an Italian surname. I feel that it is clearly evident that he is biased towards Italians and this has clouded his judgement and decision-making. He chose to come to the Raptors because he knew nobody would question him here and he would have alot of power over every personnel decision.

Why do I feel this way you ask?

1. He hires fellow Italian Mauritzio Gerardhini as the main assistant GM. He allocates several scouts to Italy to search for talent.

2. Surprising to many NBA analysts he drafts Andrea Bargnani with the first overall pick and has been pushing for him to get more minutes every year.

3. He signs Jason Kapono. (I'm fairly certain that he is also Italian, correct me if I'm wrong)

4. He fires Sam Mitchell who won coach of the year and had a winning record at the time of the firing, Mitchell was also known for disliking Andreas perimeter oriented game and would often bench him.

5. He then appoints Jay Triano as his new head coach, then decides to keep him as the coach for this season although the Raptors just had a terrible year under him. Triano is also of Italian descent.

6. He trades for yet another Italian player in Marco Bellineli. A good trade but is it really just coincidence that Colangelo went after another Italian player?

That's a mountain of evidence right there that Brian Colangelo is indeed biased towards Italians, you can even make the argument that he is biased towards Europeans in general if you look at his other moves. His decision making is affected by this bias, he is looking at nationality instead of looking for the best pieces to comprise a balanced and effective team.

Last edited by jaedenky77; 11-29-2009 at 07:18 PM.
jaedenky77 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote