Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Rate the Worst BC Moves
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #44 (permalink)
The MVP of West Hollywood
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairGM View Post
1 - No analysts were expecting Roy or Gay to go # 1. Andrea Bargnani was a virtual consensus #1 pick by major mock drafts. Roy and Gay were not predicted to go #2 either. Some thought Gay should be in the top 3, but most also thought Roy should not be in the top 5. Analysts did not view Roy and Gay as the top talent in the draft. In fact, many analysts thought Tyrus Thomas was the best pick after Bargnani. Imagine the Raps with Tyrus Thomas. Things could be much worse. That just shows you how fucked up drafts can be and how far off analysts predictions can be. I'm not talking out of my ass. I will provide a link to the 2006 mock draft predictions.

NBA.com 2006 mock draft predictions

2 - That deal could turn out to be a huge steal. Bargnani's contract of $50 mill over 5 years is pretty efficient given what he provides. The Trail Blazers are paying Aldridge $65 million over 5 years. Aldridge's contract is much harder to trade if he doesn't take his game to another level. After this season, the Jazz are paying Okur more than $10 million per for basically the same skill set and scoring production that Bargs provides the Raps. Okur is a slightly better rebounder, but Bargs, believe it or not, is a better post defender.

3 - I don't have the desire to debate that one. You might be right. If I was playing devil's advocate, the only thing I'd say is that we don't know who BC may have approached about coaching and whether they declined the job. It's possible that BC put "feelers" out to see if certain people were interested but discovered that nobody wanted the Raptor job. Before the moves BC made this summer, I doubt elite candidates were interested in coaching in Toronto.
Only because Colangelo made it clear right away Bargnani was his boy. If anyone else picks 1st, Bargnani likely goes 4-7 like Yi and Gallinari and Montiejunas this year. Thats where he was ranked pre lottery

The top 8 was fairly even. The night the Raptors won the lottery the argument on RealGM was Gay or Aldridge.

I agree Roy doesnt go 1st by anyone. Everyone knew hed be great, but ye ol senior ceiling doubts got him, saying he tops out at 18ppg. With that said Colangelo said hed win ROY easily and we were never picking Gay because of his character issues. Thereby its reasonable to assume if Colangelo thought hmm, Bargnani wont fit beside Bosh, then hed have taken Roy.

But when picking first I think BPA is the way to go. Its just that Colangelo got the BPA wrong... he thought Bargnani would be Dirk and hes Okur.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote