Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Brian Burkes Son Come Out.
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Benzo
hibernating

Retired Administrator

Representing:
Default Brian Burkes Son Come Out.

Just thought this was a great article. May place a little too much importance on Burke but, its interesting none the less.

B
Quote:
rian Burke hopes the day will come when this is no longer a story.

And maybe, just maybe, if we consider ours an enlightened society, that day already has passed.

But the personal story of his family, written with sensitivity, detail and dignity by espn.com's John Buccigross, revealed that the rough, tough, overtly gruff Burke has a gay son.

This isn't my business and this isn't your business, but Brendan Burke apparently needed to tell his story. A story of fear and acceptance that seems more compelling, more human, more difficult and yes, more controversial, because of who his father is, and what his father tends to represent.

"I would prefer Brendan hadn't decided to discuss this issue in this very public manner," Brian Burke told Buccigross. "There will be a great deal of reaction and I fear a large portion will be negative. But this take guts and I admire Brendan greatly and (will) happily march arm in arm with him on this "I had a million good reasons to love and admire Brendan (before). This news didn't alter any of them. I hope the day comes, and soon, when this is not a story."

It took the kind of temerity his father is known for Brendan Burke, at 21, to go public. And Buccigross' piece should be mandatory reading for those who care about family, love and support.

In various forms, I've known Brian Burke for almost 30 years: The longer I've known him, the more depth I've discovered. When you strip away all the noise, the headlines, the made-for-TV bluster, what you're left with is a large man with an even larger heart.

"Just don't tell anybody," he once told a colleague. "I don't want to spoil my reputation."
Burke's support for son could change hockey and all of sports | Steve Simmons | Columnists | Sports | Toronto Sun
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote