Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - A plea
Thread: A plea
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #28 (permalink)
Apollo
a dick

Banned

Representing:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
Hi everyone.

I am extending a hand out to the members of this board with a plea. I hope you take a moment to consider this. I am well aware that this is a message board and people have the right to say what ever they want. That said, this has always been a civil board where many of us came to get away from the oftentimes childishness of internet chat rooms.

With that framework as a background, I am asking people to consider the use of the word 'retarded', both here and in their every day lives. This label is a frustrating word in the first place, but my objection is specifically about how it is often used to mean stupid. Sentences like "so-and-so is retarded", or "that play/decision/idea is retarded" are both offensive, unthoughtful and in poor taste.

Say stupid if you mean stupid, but to say 'retarded' is to further denigrate people with intellectual disabilities who already face plenty of barriers for full participation and inclusion in 'normal' society. This word has no place in civil discourse, and although this is just a message board, I ask that you consider the impact of the words you use wherever you use them. This is no different from faggot, nigger or any other label used to discriminate against a segment of our society.

Do what you will, it is within your right to do so, but please take a moment to consider what it would be like for those who might be extremely offended by your word use. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
One thing I love about this board is that the moderators give us the freedom to post how we feel fit, within reason. I don't think people always appreciate this because they haven't been to enough of these boards to see the difference. The people here have it right.

Oh and I agree with trane on this above message. The use of those words make you sound ignorant and they're offensive. You're not helping yourself or anyone by using them.
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote