Based on all the speculation for this 09-10 new Raptors
team, expectations are extremely high. I want to analyze where the team is at, what's good, and what needs to change: immediately.
1. The Memphis game ended, it wasn't pretty. No one was happy. But the best part coming out of that game is Chris Bosh's play. He flat out dominated, which is an amazing sign.
2. Jose Calderon
- The most disappointing Raptor in my opinion. If we are going to be successful, he will need to become the point guard he is capable of being. Jose has top 5 point guard written all over him, but he's missing something the first 2 games. I think the problem is that Jose doesn't make enough plays with the ball. His percentages are so high, but he never takes advantage of his skills. Why eliminate yourself from the offense in terms of scoring, when you shoot 50% from the field? I think he has superstar point guard potential if he can shift his attitude to more scoring. He's been pass first way too much, especially in the half court.
- Either he's gonna be consistent or not. A 5 year/$50 million player must produce every night. Otherwise shows he's not worth the money.
4. Tomorrow's game against Orlando: I think if we win tomorrow, we will send a message by beating two good teams at home, and winning two home games in a row. We have to establish the ACC as a tough place to play. With VC not playing, we can boo him on the bench and it will be even more fun. We have to come out with energy at home, and dominate them. Turkoglu against old team will be sick.
5. Most importantly: I think we have shown that we have a solid defensive system, especially in the first game. Jay Triano has really impressed me with his committment to defense. When people say that he's a bad coach, they don't realize that another coach would be focusing on offense as well. He has 99% of the time been focusing on defense, and this is the key to our success. I think we have potential to as Jay said: "absolutely destroy teams on the defensive end". This, along with other factors will be the key.