Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Ontario files $50B tobacco suit
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
bjjs
a baller

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
I'll have to search for the study, but I'm fairly certain that cigarettes are a net positive effect on the health budget. They die significantly earlier than the majority, which is beneficial when those 65+ are amongst the heaviest users of the health care system.

I hate that the government thinks it can ad-hoc punish companies for providing services that are seeked out by consumers. a) It's not the companies fault that people began or continue to smoke, b) The government should not be in the business of condoning or penalizing personal decisions that don't harm others. Now some people will complain that their tax dollars are paying for someone else's smoking, but that's what you get in socialized medicine, and I doubt very seriously that many Canadians want to see that end.
Both those points are bullshit.

a). Yes it is their fault. They provided the poison. They marketed the poison. They sold the poison.

b) From my own personal experience, my girlfriend's cigarette addiction has potentially harmful effects on our child. It indirectly harms myself as well.

Last edited by bjjs; 10-15-2009 at 10:27 AM.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote