Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Do you believe in free will?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

cory - so your point is that every choice is just a rational/emotional computation and thus not a choice at all.

that's complete nonsense. here are a couple of reasons why:

1. humans make irrational choices all the time. not only is logic not consistently applied, but sometimes it's disregarded entirely. you can also have multiple logical answers to a question or multiple illogical answers to a question, and people pick and choose from those possibilities all the time. simply stating that it is logic that guides us doesn't mean there is only one answer, and it doesn't mean that humans actually apply it in the first place.
2. some choices are beyond logic. how does one rationlaize sophie's choice, for instance? human's rely more on emotion than logic, and emotion can give all kinds of responses. further, emotional responses are not predetermined. i may change my mind, i may be unsure of something when i proceed, and i may have conflicting emotions that don't necessarily work in a coherent world view. you can't compute that as there is no balancing factor. with emotions, we keep things separate in our minds and don't rationalize them. in the end, i may choose to act emotionally or logically or irrationally as might suit my whim. people do this all the time. these are all choices.

we compute, but it doesn't always give clear answers, and in every computation comes a whole bunch of initial choices about what sorts of things we wish to include in that computation in the first place. to write that off as a lack of free will is to completely misunderstand both what choice and logic actually are.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote