Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The 10 most toxic NBA contracts
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
m5racer
is.....

Tai-Pan

Representing:
Default The 10 most toxic NBA contracts

Quote:
If this year's free agent season taught us one thing it is this. NBA salaries are about to go through a period of deflation, especially amongst the non-elite. With that in mind, I scoured the Hoopshype salary data to find 10 contracts I would least want to be holding at the moment.

Now, when I describe a contract as "toxic" I am not necessarily saying the player under contract is a poor player, I am merely saying the amount he is due is way out of whack with the wins I would expect him to produce over the term of the contract.

For instance, Washington PG Gilbert Arenas and Orlando PF Rashard Lewis -- the promisees on my two most toxic contracts -- are both fine, above-average players. But they are not elite level players. Yet each is due to be paid super-elite level money for many years to come. And with NBA salaries in deflation, those contracts, I predict, will become more and more onerous by the season.

On the other end of the spectrum are Golden State SF Stephen Jackson and Toronto PF/C Andrea Bargnani. Neither is paid all that much by new millenium standards, yet each is paid way, way more than the wins he will produce. Both are extremely sub-par performers and therefore any premium paid to either is money wasted.

With that primer, here is the list:

3. Andrea Bargnani... 56.5 million through 2015
Comment: This contract doesn't look horrible monetarily, but when you consider that the promisee is a serious loss producer, and a perennial member of my "20 Most Harmful" lists, any premium -- no -- any long term deal involving this player is a bad, toxic deal.

Source - Click here

Last edited by Dr. J. Naismith; 09-13-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Didn't provide a link to the source.
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key