Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - where can an injury hurt us the most?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:
Default where can an injury hurt us the most?

http://raptorsrepublic.com/2009/09/0...ce/#more-10433

Quote:
Depth Chart:

PG: Calderon, Jack, Douby, Banks
SG: DeRozan, Belinelli, Weems
SF: Turkoglu, Wright
PF: Bosh, Evans, Johnson
C: Bargnani, Nesterovic, O’Bryant

Where can an injury hurt us the most?

PG: An injury to Calderon will result in Jack moving over to handle starting duties making Douby the backup point. This could be the most realistic injury scenario heading into this year. Calderon’s still got a lot to prove in terms of staying fit for 82, and I’m not being pessimistic when I say that a hamstring could chop 20 games out of his season. An injury here has a two-fold effect, it not only increases Jack’s minutes at the point, it decreases his minutes at the off guard where we’re both unproven and thin. Then again, there aren’t many teams in the league that can lose their starting point guard and not scrape the bottom of the bench to find minutes. Given the acquisition of Jack and Turkoglu’s ability to run an offense, I’d say we have sufficient insurance in case of an injury to Calderon, although his efficiency cannot be replaced. The guy doesn’t take bad shots, is careful with the ball and when healthy, can make the defense pay. We’re definitely liable to suffer on offense if he’s out, but not nearly to the extent we did last year.

SG: Unlike most I’m not expecting much out of DeMar DeRozan early on. He’s got a chance to be a solid NBA player but it’s far too soon to expect consistent production out of him. An early injury to him will hurt our transition game and defense because we’ll lose athleticism at the wing, but Wright can make up for that on defense and the erratic Belinelli is capable of providing the scoring punch, arguably more than DeRozan. We’re not loaded at the 2 and losing DeRozan for a bunch of games will hurt his development far more than the team. Ideally, he’d be playing the role of Courtney Lee, in other words, the defense forgets that he’s on the floor because there are far more dangerous threats on the floor. I don’t see that happening with the Raptors and he’s going to have to work hard to get his. Jarrett Jack and Marco Belinelli are the other variables but you’d think Belinelli is ahead of Jack in the depth chart given size and scoring ability. Losing Belinelli would mean losing the only true scorer off the bench and a trade or signing would have to be made because it would leave us with Sonny Weems as the second wing off the pine.
interesting analysis from arsenalist. click the link to read his thoughts on the other three positions.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote