Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - H1N1 Vaccine
Thread: H1N1 Vaccine
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ligeia
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsdabest View Post
I know there are a few people that scam people by pretending to be naturopaths. This stuff works for reasons science has not yet figured out and one day will.
You're again avoiding what I'm asking for, which is demonstrating to me that perhaps this is not your strongest subject.

Here is my point: even if we do not know the precise mechanism through which something works, there should be a statistically significant positive increase in health outcomes when a treatment is run through a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. The fact is that almost every treatment or supplement a naturopath gives you will not pass these trials. If, however, you know of one that does, you should provide such information.

Further, you are arguing that "it works, we just don't know for sure how, why, or if it works." It is far more sensible to take a null hypothesis of non-efficacy until demonstrated otherwise. Until we know for sure that something works, we should not be claiming that it does and prescribing it as a valid treatment for people who have legitimate health problems.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote