Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Is Leo Rautins The Right Man To Lead Canada?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
BRAY88
full of viss and pinegar

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann38 View Post
Long term Rautins probably isn't the man for the job. He's basically holding it down until the young guys come through the pipeline.
Maybe he'll develop as a coach along the way, while the talent improves and be suitable to continue in the future.
The problem with basketball in Canada isn't coaching anyway. It's funding to properly develop talent. Didn't the National Development Program for youngsters run out of money and get cancelled last spring? I've been paying my annual membership to Canada Basketball, how many others have bothered?

As far as Leo goes, I do wonder how many people realize the extent he's gone to in order to have top assistants. For example, he has a Cleveland Cavaliers assistant and a club coach from the top levels of European ball on the bench with him along with a Canadian. Plus, you've got a major figure in the world of hoops as managing director.

In regards to Jay helping USA Basketball I think that's great!!! It's common in international ball to have citizens of other countries coach teams. Look at Gordie Herbert (mentioned above.) He was head coach of (the country, not state) Georgia. (Former men's national team head coach) Ken Shields has coached with at least three different additional national programs. The more Canadians making a name for themselves coaching around the world the better!

In terms of guys wanting to play a long time for Canada on the senior team... These guys are mostly pros on their summer vacations. Even countries that have had guys enjoy great success for a long time have a hard time getting them to keep coming out.

Look at Argentina right now. They may have two of their top-seven guys playing. These Tournament of Americas are absolutely crazy. You can play 10 games in 12 days - 10 games in 11 days if you get a first day bye (and Canada does in PR.) And for a country like Canada the best players have to play huge minutes to win. The fact Steve played as long as he did was amazing.

The other (sad) fact is that Canada Basketball has so little money it can make conditions less than optimal (which apparently Sammy didn't enjoy for example.) Frankly, my guess is the coaches are getting paid far, far, far less than market value too.

Given the current funding situation, my hope is Canada can somehow can get about 25 imminent/current top-level Europe/NBDL/NBA players involved in the senior program and thus have options for major events when not everyone is available.

Long-term of course, it would be nice to actually have competitive money eh...

As for whether Leo stays on as coach, time will tell. But, I think it's only fair to look at the context he is operating in.
BRAY88 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote