Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Expiring Contracts Are Overrated
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
rapsdabest
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I've been noticing something around here, some people are overrating expiring contracts.

Expiring contracts have two great uses in terms of building a team. The first being it can give a team relief so that it can then take the money and sign another player who fits their system. The second thing is that an expiring contract can be used as trade bait. Typically a team doesn't give away a good player for an expiring contract unless its a contract amount of substantial size and even then a good player is not necessarily attainable.

If a team is capped out an expiring contract has its benefits as well. It can help relieve luxury tax burden. For a small market team without a great revenue stream this is of great value. For a big market team making a killing, luxury tax is something to be avoided but its not something to be feared.

How does this apply to the Raptors? The Raptors will have cap space this off-season. Beyond that point they won't for some time... In fact chances are beyond next summer they won't have cap space for four or five seasons. So, in the Raptors case an expiring contract doesn't have much value to them over the next four years beyond the summer of 2010. They have always tried to avoid paying luxury taxes. The only time they've justified entering that territory was the summer after their semi-conference game seven defeat; a point where optimism was high and a sense that great success was just around the corner. The Raptors may be entering that frame of mind again within the next few seasons.

I feel expiring contracts in most cases are overrated. What are your thoughts?
I completely agree. The only time expiring contracts are good is when a player like Marcus Banks has one.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote