Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - American healthcare system
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #32 (permalink)
AR1815
set adrift on a memory bliss of you.

Reptars

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
except that this would mean that rich people have access to better and faster health care than poor people, which in my mind is not at all equitable.

Yes, sadly, in Russia this translates to some people getting excellent healthcare, and other just marginal.

But look at it this way: the more you're able to pay for healthcare, the better insurance you can get, the better you are covered. Still, there are 46 million people (not including illegal immigrants) without insurance in the US. That's one out of every 6, about. That entitles them to absolutely absurd hospital bills. Is that equality?

There will always be a gap between the things that the rich can get and the poor can get, unfortunately. If the government was to regulate "socialized" hospitals/doctors, I am sure that they would have to meet certain standards that would allow the poor (and currently uninsured) to receive great healthcare for much, much less. It wont be what Bill Gates is getting, true, but it will be much better than what they have now. Personally, I think people have an obligation to strengthen their society, so I would have no problem with paying extra money just so I know a person who is less fortunate than I can get the aid that he/she needs.
AR1815 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote