Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Hollinger: Raptors season will be a brilliant success or spectacular failure
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
jeffb
is the baby faced assassin

Banned

Representing:
Hollinger: Raptors season will be a brilliant success or spectacular failure

Quote:
Toronto: The Euraptors spent a ton of money this summer, but whether it was well-spent is a question open for debate. For starters, spending a combined $100 million for Turkoglu and Andrea Bargnani would make a lot more sense if basketball had a DH rule. Jarrett Jack at $20 million was excessive as well, and if the Euraps don't commit to paying a luxury tax down the road, these deals are going to give them a lot of problems.

But hey, it's not my money, and it might all work out brilliantly. They're committed to a floor-spacing, sweet-shooting outfit reminiscent of Bryan Colangelo's old Suns teams in a final crack at convincing Chris Bosh to stay beyond this season. Either that or they're trying to convince Bosh he's really living in Geneva; somebody needs to check to see if they aren't setting all the clocks six hours ahead up there.

While Toronto spent freely, there were some value moves beneath the surface: They got Rasho Nesterovic for a song and Marco Belinelli for less than that, and while I'm not high on DeMar DeRozan, a lot of folks whom I respect are.

I guess what I'm saying is I have no idea how this will work out, which is how they ended up in the mystery meat section. It's easy to split the difference and say they'll be a .500-ish team, but I don't think that will be the outcome. I'm expecting either a brilliant success or a spectacular failure, and I'm really not sure which.

How did the East teams fare in the offseason? John Hollinger offers an a la carte menu - ESPN
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote