Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 97

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 101

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 109

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 120

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 124

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 132

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 201

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 378

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/class_core.php on line 2514
Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - T-Mac: Philanthropist or Self-Promoting Douche?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #56 (permalink)
ClingRap
enjoying having the keys to destiny

perusing ancient database

Representing:

One of my favorite lines about this type of work is that "I have no problem with bandaid solutions as long as people treat them as such."

The real philosophical questions and problem with the idea of charity is the relationship it creates. It pretty much upholds a lot the structural underpinnings that create a lot of the political circumstances that make charity a huge profit driven machine. I've witnessed first hand the sheer lack of co-creativity when implementing "objectives" to "help" others. It's usually the same old tired initiatives that involve very little sacrifice on the part of those involved.

It's nice that they open their wallets. But don't look at it as having this significance beyond whatever personal motives you might have for giving. As long as we have a global economic system structured on taking then giving beyond our reach will always wind up as meager patchwork. There's lots of people who've worked in this area that have come to this realization.

Malcolm X and others long realized that the political potency of charity is best realized when done as close to one's home as possible. Investment can be seen as a form of charity, and in this instance, investment can be anything, one's time, which to me, is the greatest thing anyone can give. It's invaluable and impermanent. Opening the pocketbook is the easiest and least effective and transformative form of charity.
ClingRap is offline   Boss Key Wife Key