Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 97

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 101

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 109

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 120

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 124

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 132

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 201

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 378

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/class_core.php on line 2514
Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - T-Mac: Philanthropist or Self-Promoting Douche?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint

Representing:

I just think it's not going to be about big donations by the rich or celebrities that get the job done. Mostly that just causes further dependence. And I don't think everything should hinge upon our contributions to NGO's, although they prove more helpful than Geldof's raising of our awareness every so often and making us feel guilty and stirring the political pot in ways that are not always positive in the long run.

I like the idea of our governments doing the job and directing money where it is most effective, and working to actually eliminate poverty rather than just react to it's harmful effects over and over again. I mentioned Jeffrey Sachs when I meant to put Goldman Sachs in there, and oddly enough Jeffrey has brilliantly come up with a plan to actually eliminate poverty, which is a pretty worthy goal. And all it takes is a commitment of countries to give .7 percent of GNP.

So there is something that we can all do to really make a difference, and we don't even have to open up our wallets individually. We can simply make some noise to get this done collectively.

Some links -

The End of Poverty

Home | Make Poverty History
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key