Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Smith: Raps Hope the Hedo Signing Will Make Bosh Want to Stay
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator

Representing:
Default Smith: Raps Hope the Hedo Signing Will Make Bosh Want to Stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith
Here’s one thing I don’t quite get – and that’s on a long, long list:

The suggestion somehow that getting Hedo Turkoglu means the Raptors are now going to trade Chris Bosh. Or should.

I’m trying to get this straight:

You get a good player so it means you plan to, or should, deal away a very good player?

The logic escapes me.

Isn’t this the way to show Bosh you’re serious about winning? Doesn’t giving him another weapon to play alongside – a weapon who is going to create a lot of space for Bosh to operate – mean you’re trying to put the best team possible on the floor?

Now, you know that I’ve never thought they should trade Bosh, that he’s too good to get anything close to value for, that I think he’s in for a monster year, that I think he could just as easily re-sign here next summer as leave.

But it just doesn’t make any sense at all to strengthen your team by adding a borderline all-star small forward (and go check the dispatches from last February and see how many people thought Turkoglu got jobbed when he was snubbed for the all-star game) and then weaken it by trading away a bonafide all-star.

Now, Chris Bosh may indeed decide a year from now that he wants to go play somewhere else. But you can’t say for certain that he will, just like I can’t say for certain that he won’t.

But I will say with absolute certainty – and I will not listen to arguments to the contrary – that making this kind of move does more to appease Bosh than turn him off.

And you have to trust me on this one last point: There is no one – NO ONE – in the Raptor hierarchy who has any taste for moving Bosh today.
Source - Doug Smith's Toronto Raptors blog
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote