Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Unofficial: Hedo to sign with the Raptors (Updated Pg. 8)
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #457 (permalink)
Ligeia
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1815 View Post
Please someone explain to me what the cap situation looks like as of right now. I've been reading that if we go over the cap, we will be able to use the MLE. If that's the case, then isn't adding Hedo putting us over the cap, and thereby letting us use the MLE (which is what we wanted to do anyway with Marion)? If not, will we have to go into luxury tax to add more players (if MLSE is willing to do so), and what does that really mean this/next year? And finally, how the hell are we going to be able to offer Bosh the max contract that he will surely demand (if he decides to stay) if we will be giving Hedo nearly 11 million, and likely giving Bargs a huge raise as well? I know this is a lot to answer, but I'd appreciate it if someone filled me in.
Signing Hedo will take up all (or almost all) the cap space. If we had re-signed Marion and gone over the cap, we would've been able to use the MLE since we had Marion's bird rights. Since we are spending all the cap space on a new player, we cannot use the MLE. Note also that there is quite a bit of room between the cap and hitting the luxury tax, which is designed to let teams re-sign their existing players, so there is really no chance of us hitting the luxury tax.

If we sign Turkoglu, there are only a few options:

1) Biannual exception; should be around $1.5-1.8 million
2) Minimum contracts
3) Sign-and-trade AP, Delfino, or Marion for a pick and a trade exception. Then flip the pick and trade exception for a player. In a sign-and-trade, we cannot take on any salary because it would prevent us from signing Turkoglu, so that's why we would have to make use of a trade exception.

BC must have something else up his sleeve, or else this roster is going to be extremely lacking in depth.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote