Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Detroit Could Have Done Better!?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
B-RAD
a gearbox of epic proportions.

Banned

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to B-RAD
Default Detroit Could Have Done Better!?

according to yahoo sports writer kelly dwyer signing Cv and Gordon was good but, they could have done better and i agree they had 20 mill in cap space and pretty much used it all up for Charlie V. and Ben Gordon. I mean for rebuilding they could have acquired many young peices along with Vets and looking good in the years to come. but, instead they take 2 overly paid better than mediocre but, not superstar or all-star for that matter. in Charlie V. and B.G. Now, don't get me wrong gordon and c.v. are good players and show signs of amazment at times. but, i mean honestly detroit you could have got many players for 20 mill and still had some left over. but, you spend it on two that aren't really going to help your team that significantly where you will win the title in the next two-three years. alright, i'm done blabbering so, here's a bit of the article and i'll give you guys the link to the full story.

Quote:
I like and respect the games of Ben Gordon(notes) and Charlie Villanueva(notes). I think both players while shot-happy, mercurial, and crummy on defense have been unfairly maligned throughout their careers.

What I just can't imagine, knowing throughout 2008-09 that the Pistons would have heaps of salary-cap space to work with this summer, that this is how fans of the team assumed things would work out.

Carlos Boozer's(notes) staying in Utah, I understand that option is off the table. By midseason, last year, it became more and more likely that Boozer wouldn't want to walk away from guaranteed money in 2009-10. Not in this climate, not with his 2008-09 play. And beyond that, the free-agent pickings are somewhat slim.

But Gordon and CV? This soon? Woj is reporting that both will be in Detroit today, and likely to sign with the Pistons. And that their new contracts will take up most of Detroit's $20 million in cap space.

So, that's your team. Those are your Pistons. That's the payoff of the rebuilding process. Yikes.

We know why Villanueva is available. The Bucks didn't want to extend a qualifying offer to their once-restricted free-agent forward, and for good reason. The team is trying to figure its future out, and adding new salary for a very good-but-not-great player while confusion reigns is never a good idea. Even if all of CV's offers fell by the wayside and he had to sign for the QO, nah. Just not worth it, even if his play and contributions are worth much more than the QO.

Gordon? The Bulls prepared to do this for years. Team owner Jerry Reinsdorf is easily the cheapest in the NBA, taking in quite a bit of profit while refusing to pay the luxury tax, or retain players that he's not entirely comfortable with.

You've been able to see the writing on the wall for years with this move. It's why the team makes all sorts of moves to approach the tax (like spending guaranteed money on two draft picks who aren't even likely to be in next year's rotation) just to leave itself the excuse to not pay Gordon, a huge scoring threat for a team that sometimes struggles to top 80 points in a game.

Chicago will toss out John Salmons'(notes) name, of course, because most of their fans won't remember that Salmons will turn 30 later this year, and will be about to enter the down side of his career. The Bulls always leave you a carrot, always refusing to smartly spend money in the proper areas while distracting you with the luck of the Derrick Rose(notes) lottery selection, or a seven game series loss to a team missing its best player.

And Detroit? I just thought they could do better. I understand that you have to wrap up talent and assets (because talent is an asset) early in the free-agent game, before someone comes along with a newer, bluer, offer. And I understand that, supposedly, you don't want to rake the players who you're trusting to turn your team around over the coals, letting them twist for too long while you explore other options.

This is Detroit's haul? - Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Yahoo! Canada Sports
B-RAD is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote