Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - LBJ built for NFL?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Windex
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean

Representing:
Default LBJ built for NFL?

Quote:
Mark Murphy hasn't merely witnessed the finest receivers of his generation. He has experienced them.

Murphy's 11-year career at strong safety was good enough to get him into the Green Bay Packers' Hall of Fame. He has covered, tackled and occasionally been scorched by legends.

On the subject of greatness, he knows what he's talking about.

"I've been around a lot of great receivers," Murphy said. "I tell people that I rate my top receivers -- coaching, playing or watching -- as James Lofton, Jerry Rice, Steve Largent and LeBron James."

Murphy wasn't delivering a joke or some abstract concept. He meant James, the NBA superduperstar, simply was that spectacular on a football field. Murphy saw it as the defensive coordinator at James' alma mater, St. Vincent-St. Mary High in Akron, Ohio.

James was an all-state receiver as a sophomore and junior, setting records that still stand. He gave up football as a senior to become a multimillion-dollar, teenage basketball corporation.

"People laugh at me, but it's true," Murphy said of placing James in the same class as three Pro Football Hall of Famers. "The kid had everything you could want.

"I felt like that was one kid that could have gone from high school to the NFL and played."

Makes you wonder, doesn't it; what might have happened had James chosen football over basketball?
continued: Could NBA MVP LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers play in the NFL? - ESPN
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote