Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Get TJ Ford out of Toronto signs.
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
canada_rocks2369
from Canada and it rocks

Representing:

I agree that TJ is better with Bosh in the lineup because he doesnt feel like he has to do it all himself. He is first and foremost a competitor but often gets too carried away and forgets to use his teammates. I also think hes a worse player overall coming off of the bench because he tries to make sure he gets his even though hes playing limited minutes. Whenever he sees Jose go to the scorers table its almost like he tries to get as many shots in as possible before the whistle blows and hes gotta sit.
Regardless, I honestly believe that, at both of their peaks, Jose is better for the team. While TJ is a better scorer and can occasionally take over a game, Jose is a better distributor and with all the Raptors shooters thats what u need. Hes also a better shooter himself and that helps open it up for everyone else. Plus there is TJs injury concerns to worry about and that potential inconsistency is not what u want out of your starting PG.
Personally, I would say to trade Ford not because hes "bad for the team" or anything, but because Jose is better and could easily handle another 10mins per game. I know the Raps struggled a little with TJ out earlier, but that was because u had a shooter (Dixon) backing up Jose (and doing a very poor job of it). This forced Jose to play over 40mins per game which he was not used to and had him wore out, but even still he played better than any of us anticipated. As long as he had even a capable backup, even for only 15mins a game, Jose, and the Raptors, would be fine.
I think the main motivation for moving TJ wouldn't necessarily be to get him out but for what he could bring back in which would help the Raptors more. The Raptors have glaring needs at other positions and TJ would be much more effective on another team in need of a starting PG. What if he brought back a player like Corey Maggette, Andres Nocioni, or Richard Jefferson, a starter who could seriously impact a game (while fitting in) the way a backup PG like TJ never could? Would u argue then? I'm not questioning TJs abilities, I'm saying that they are being wasted playing only 20-some mins a game (and rightly so because Jose deserves the minutes). I think people get caught up on his production last year, but even if he returned to that (which he wont cuz he doesnt get the minutes) I would still rather have Jose so it doesnt matter. As much as I hate to say it, cuz I'm a fan of his, but Fords value is higher as part of a trade than as a backup PG. Besides, I really don't think hes happy being a backup anyway which is what he'd have to be for the Raptors for the forseeable future.
canada_rocks2369 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote