Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Official NFL Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #187 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan

Representing:

NFL Fans won't like this

JOHN MADDEN ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT FROM BROADCASTING

Quote:
NEW YORK -- One of pro football's most recognized faces is retiring.

John Madden, the former Oakland Raiders head coach and longtime NFL broadcaster, announced Thursday he's stepping away from the broadcast booth.

"It's time," Madden said in a statement. "I'm 73 years old.

"My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not.

"It's been such a great ride... the NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion, it still is. I still love every part of it, the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people... but I know this is the right time."

Madden has served as the game analyst for "NBC Sunday Night Football" since 2006. He has won an unprecedented 16 Emmy Awards over his 30-year broadcast career.

Prior to becoming a broadcaster, Madden was the head coach of the NFL's Oakland Raiders. He compiled an overall record of 103-32-7 and led the team to victory over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI. He was inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006.

Madden retired as Raiders coach in 1979 and started his broadcasting career at CBS later that year. Madden was the lead NFL analyst for FOX from 1994 to 2002 and the analyst for ABC's "Monday Night Football" for four years before he came to NBC Sports in 2006. He is the only person to work as the lead analyst for all four broadcast networks.

Madden's EA Sports video game "Madden NFL Football" is the No. 1 selling sports video game of all-time with more than 65 million copies sold since its release 20 years ago.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote