Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Zach Randolph: "I'm better than Chris Bosh"
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #40 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge

Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
2+2=4 is most certainly not the same thing as using player x's per-36 minute stats compared to player y's as a definitive indicator of their abilities.

first, 2+2=4 is a priori truth, while the per-36 min comparison is, at best, a posteriori.

second, 2+2=4 is basic math while the other is statistics, which one can manipulate and from which one can draw conclusions and suggestions.

third, the hyperbole that you provide adds opinion to the discussion, which, of course, has no relevance in a math test.
Only person to definitively question the per 36 rankings, and support why he thinks they should be questioned......kudos.
Pace was not taken into consideration when those stats were compiled.

That said, Offensive rating and defensive rating is based on points scored and allowed per possession, not alot of room for "y"s. And one coud argue that the defenses that a player encounters plays into that, but the truth is that it makes very little difference in the overall outcome of the stat.

And the Roland rating is something I am not fond of at all, but I put it there for the sake of discussion.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote