Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Iavaroni To Join The Raptors?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator

Representing:
Default Iavaroni To Join The Raptors?

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith
This ought to get the cobwebs out of the early morning heads.

Marc Iavaroni’s coming.

Seriously, he is. To Toronto. Like, tomorrow. And he was with the Raptors last week in Philly but went unnoticed.

The deal is he’s on some “coach and idea sharing” mission or some such; unemployed coaches come and hang around teams for a few days, offer their insight.

This, of course, is the first time the Raptors have ever done anything like this and of all the unemployed coaches to pick in all the world, they had to get Iavaroni, former head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies, former long-time assistant in Phoenix – where that Colangelo guy held sway – and the apple of the eye of a lot of Raptors fans.

Now, before any of you get too worked up, he’s here to be an observer, won’t be on the bench or anything this year and is not – I repeat IS NOT – going to be the next head coach of the Raptors.

But when he and Jay Triano break bread some day, and they surely will, I can imagine it’s going to be like some quasi job interview.

Can you envision Jay with Iavaroni as his lead assistant? I can. And I’m pretty sure there are people in the organization who can.

Okay, let’s say they are bound and determined to hire Jay back – and I seriously think with a few more wins they will – and they don’t want the perception that Iavaroni would be the “head coach in waiting” and the fan favourite after every four-game losing streak, what do they do?

Well, a wise man or two suggested that maybe they make a call to P.J. Carlisemo.

Great assistant, history of winning, probably done as a head coaching prospect after three shots at it, familiar with Jay from the summer Olympic team gigs, familiar with Bryan from the same thing.

Make sense?

A bit, you have to admit.
Source - Doug Smith's Toronto Raptors blog
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote