Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Is it time to blow up the NBA playoff system?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
The MVP of West Hollywood
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Representing:

The conference system is a-ok by me...

One thing though, I don't think the detraction of "Travel makes it impossible" is really all that true. If they do the 2-3-2 system for all rounds, is it really that big of a difference? It's not like they get jet lag by flying from LA to Toronto. If anything 2-2-1-1-1 is a tougher system for players.

HOWEVER, I do think it'd lead to some crappy early series. Would anyone really want to the Lakers dismantle well... us, the 1st round? I also think it leads to the problem of a harder conference skewing results. Ex. If the Sacramento Kings were in the East, they'd have as many wins as us probably, if not more. Then you get into what's the point of having conferences and divisions at all, if only for travel purposes?

At the end of the day, Denver might be a pretty good team who misses the playoffs, but let's face it, even if they did get in the playoffs, they'd be gone in the 1st round anyways. If you want in, beat your opponents, rise to the challenge. It's as simple as that.

I guess I'm the only one enjoying how competitive the West is. It's just FUN. This is the way it should be, whoever's the best gets in, not whoever's the least bad. And next year should be just as interesting - Lakers, Spurs, Utah, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Golden State aren't going anywhere, then you've got Portland beefing up with Oden and lots of capspace, and the Clippers jumping back in it(I predict... you never know with the Clippers, but if they roll out Thornton, Brand, Kaman, and someone good from this year's draft - Rose would be perfect, that's a scary team right there. It's time for their management to stop being so shitty and finally contend if they get that group, put in the right pieces). Phoenix and Denver will be worse but they might still be in contention, sort of.

Last edited by The MVP of West Hollywood; 03-04-2008 at 07:06 PM.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote