Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Eric Smith Doesn't Think Bosh Is Here Long-Term
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator

Representing:
Default Eric Smith Doesn't Think Bosh Is Here Long-Term

Here's why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Smith
In just over 30 minutes, I’ve already had more than 10 emails come in … asking me about my comments on “The Game Plan” with Jack Armstrong and Doug McLean.

If you missed it, McLean asked me: “One word … Yes or No … Will Chris Bosh be here long-term?”

Because McLean asked for a “yes” or a “no” … I gave it to him. My answer …

“No.”

Now let me use this blog to explain my answer.

Doug asked for a one-word answer. But had I been allowed to give a bit of a qualifier … this what I would have said …

I still don’t think Bosh is going to be moved this summer. I think Bryan Colangelo will keep the 4-time All Star in Toronto. In fact, I still think CB4 will sign a max contract with this team when he’s a free agent in the summer of 2010.

However, a year or two into that deal … if the Raptors still haven’t done anything / gone anywhere in the post-season (i.e. - Conference Finals? NBA Finals?) … then I think he will quietly ask to be moved (much like Vince Carter did) … and the Raps will accommodate his wishes and get the best package they can for him at that time.

The only way I see that scenario NOT going down … is if Colangelo gets a commitment from Bosh THIS summer. The GM will ask the player if he’s thinking about staying or thinking about going. If Bosh says he’s leaving - or even hints at that fact that he might go - then, clearly, a move has to be made.

So, this issue here is McLean’s definition of “long-term” versus my definition (and your definition while reading this) of that same term. No … I don’t think Bosh is here “long-term” - unless Toronto wins. Why would he or any other player want to stay with a team that is stuck in neutral? But conversely, why would he or any other player want to move from a team if the club is moving forward and competing as a top 3-4 team year after year?

I’ve said it before … and I’ll say it again: Winning cures all.

Bosh wants to get paid but Bosh wants to win as well. Thus, “short-term”, I think he IS a Raptor but “long-term” … it’s up to Bosh, the players around him, and the organization itself. You’ve got to win. Period.
Source - FAN590 - Blogs - The Rap Blog Archive My Comments RE: Bosh
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote