Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Adelman vs. Mitchell
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
jumplvlan23
is on that grind

Representing:
Default Adelman vs. Mitchell

Hey, I read this thread on RealGM, explaining how Rick Adelman would have been the perfect coach for this team.

I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Quote:
It came to me that our current team personnel has a lot of similarities to that kings team:

Starting Roster

PG: Kings - Bibby / Raptors - Calderon

Both are point guards that could run high post pick and roll effectively, both are good shooters from long range, both are bad defenders;

SG: Kings - Christie / Raptors - Parker

Both are above average perimeter defenders, although a prime Christie was probably a better defender, but not by a very wide margin. Both can hit open shots from mid to long range, both can cut to the basket effectively when given the chance;

SF: Kings - Stojakovic / Raptors - Kapono

Both are deadeye pure shooters. Both players do generally make good decisions while on the court. A prime Stojakovic was a much more complete offensive player than Kapono, but during Webber's best seasons, Stojakovic was often a spot up shooters most of time like Kapono, if I recall correctly.

PF: Kings - Webber / Raptors - Bosh

Both can play the high post for pick and roll. Both players can hit mid range jumpshot or pass from high post, or either drive directly to the basket with their quickness/explosiveness. Both players can score with face to the basket moves on low post. Webber was a better passer, however. Both are not very good defenders.

Center: Kings - Divac / Raptors - Bargnani

Both can play the high post for pick and roll. Both players can hit mid range jumpshot or pass from high post. Divac was a better passer and post defender, while Bargnani is decent at passing, his post defense still needs improvement, but I do see room for growth on those aspects. Bargnani is quicker and has a longer range, however.

Bench

Kings - Bobby Jackson / Raptors - TJ Ford

Both are explosive and quick guards that could penetrate into the post for either scoring opportunities or passing out to shooters. Both are high energy player that could spark a team. Jackson was a better shooter, while Ford is a better passer/organizer.

Now again, I only watched that Kings team in playoff, and that was 7 years ago, so my depiction of the Kings players might not be all that accurate. Yet I do think that some basic similarities are apparent: big men that could shoot and pass at high post, point guard that runs high pick and roll effctively and can shoot from long range, wing players that are deadly from downtown. It seems to me that this would have been a perfect setup for Adelman and his princeton offense, should he choose to coach the Raptors. Moreover, most of Raptors players do have high basketball IQ in general, much like the Kings player, which is almost a requirement for a complicated system like the Princeton offense.
jumplvlan23 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote