Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - 3 Things Doug Smith Learned Last Night
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator

Representing:
Default 3 Things Doug Smith Learned Last Night

Doug typically does his "3 Things He Learned" after each game, but this morning's observations are all ones that I find interesting and in some capacity glaring weaknesses depending on how you look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith
Small experiment, small returns

The great Jose-T.J. experiment fizzled and itís probably the last time we see it for any stretch of time. But the reasoning behind it was solid: Everyone was getting torched by dribble penetration (like we havenít heard that before) and it was a futile attempt to get some quick guys on the floor. And trying something, anything because it was obvious 10 minutes in that none of the perimeter guys were getting the job done. Guess he could have stayed with them and the game would never have got close.
So, what do you now? It's been obvious that these two when on the court at the same time aren't effective on both sides of the ball, so who's going to bite the bullet and have their playing time cut? As we've seen lately Sam's giving Ford more and more time and I think its only a matter of time before we see a switch and back the the original arrangement that being Ford back in his old role as starter and likewise for Calderon as back-up. Ford getting limited minutes isn't going to sit well with him and I don't care if he said they other day in the papers that he's fine backing up Jose. He isn't and he won't sit without a fight in my opinion. :mad:

Quote:
Heís gonna lose his voice

If Sam screams at Jamario to get up on the perimeter and guard his man one more time, I swear the coachís head might explode right in front of us. Half a dozen times every game it happens. And it generally ends with the rook on the bench. Itís the fatal flaw in Moonís game. And I donít know what you can do to fix it except scream at him, and wait for the explosion.
Again as I said last night, Jamario has quickly become very ineffective and something that Sam needs to address and not by screaming at him night in and night out. I suggested moving Delfino into the starting 5 especially if Bosh is gone for the next couple games. Let's use Moon's energy to come off the bench for the next little bit and see what happens. It can't hurt.

Quote:
Mix and match

Hereís one simple and undeniable fact about this teamís roster: Of the four swingmen Ė Moon, Parker, Delfino and Kapono Ė you have no idea for sure what youíre going to get every night. Thatís why you see a lot of shuttling in and out of those two spots, trying to find the combination thatís working that game. And thatís why youíre going to continue seeing Sam shuttle the four of them in and out even in the playoffs trying to figure out whoís going well in any particular game.
Its those inconsistencies which are frustrating from a Raptors fan point of view because you never know what kind of performances your gonna get out of any of those four. That I believe will be top on BC's list of position(s) to address this summer. We need "forsure's" from our swing men, not "what if's" like we've been seeing all season long from these four.

Link - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote