Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Why I think Bargnani will be fine....
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

The Killing Joke
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default Why I think Bargnani will be fine....

I know Andrea has takin' a lot of shit this season and hell even I want to kill him so I decided to to what I do best and that is research and to see if he really is having THAT bad of a campaign. So I decided to look into his numbers for the year on a month by month basis and I'll put up this table.

PPG 11.9
RBG 4.6
FG% .446
3pt% .412

PPG 5.3
RBG 2.1
FG% .296
3pt% .190

PPG 8.7
RBG 3.5
FG% .381
3pt% .371

PPG 14.2
RBG 4.2
FG% .423
3pt% .404

Now, I cannot explain the drop off from November to December. His minutes per game drop that month from 25 to 19 but still it does not warrant that large of a drop. However, since that "low" point his numbers have increased as evidenced by the month of January and February. So, statistically speaking he has improved as there can be no denial. The evidence is right there. So, I decided to look at other Centres in the league that are playing and what their numbers were in their second year.

Chris Kaman in his second year averaged 9.1 ppg and 6.7 rbg
Andris Biedrins averaged 3.8 ppg and 4.2 rbp
Arvydas Sabonis (at the age of 30) averaged 14.5 and 8.2 rbp
Toni Kukoc at the age of 25 averaged 15.7 and 10.4
Vlade Divac 11.1 ppg and 8.2 rbg
Zydrunas Ilgauskas (second full year) averaged 11.1 ppg and 5.4 rbg
Mehmet Okur 9.6 and 5.9 rbg

Now, I took this only as a sampling and as you can see I took the majority of them as European players who have all had success in the NBA. Now, Bargnani's season averages for this season so far are 10.2 and 3.8. If I remove the month of December from this equation and include the one game he played in October then his PPG aver is 13.7 and 3.9 rbg and those are not terrible numbers.

Now factor in that Bargnani is only 22 years old and has to play with the fact that he is the FIRST European player to ever be selected first overall and coupled with the fact that he is seen as an important cog of this offense he hasn't actually played that poorly in comparison to other Centre/Forward players. Also factor in that Bargnani has only shot 548 total shots.

Now, am I saying that Bargnani has not been disapointing? No. However, offensively speaking, he has played quite up to expectation and although he may not have demonstrated the immediate improvement of a Brandon Roy or a Rudy Gay it can be said that Bargnani is learning to play his position and as the last month has shown he has actually improved on his numbers.

I hope you enjoy this read. Maybe it has shown something, maybe it hasn't. But for me personally, I decided to do some research and see if I can find anything. And I think I may have but that's for everyone else to decide.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote