Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Grange: Marbury deal > Marion deal
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
insight_tor
a Triano's fan

The friendly neighbor

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuriousjones View Post
this is the same thing i've been saying. if the plan is to retain marion (at a lesser price) then banks', less development for joey, and a worse draft pick is a tolerable price for that. if not, its not a good trade.

i'm going to repeat myself, but i want bc to swing something like JO+Moon+$$$+that Clipps pick for Marbury+Gallinari. We get much more savings, assuming Marbury isn't ging to play, we're not artificially skewing our draft, if Marbury does play, at least he's a guard that can create--Marion's a good player, but we already have athletic 3s that need others to get them shots. And Gallinari is a type of guy I think this team would really benefit from. The kid's got a chance to be special, but I don't know what kind of roadblocks he's going to face in NY with Chandler and Lee (although Lee could walk this summer).

However, the Knicks might not want to spend $60MM on JO 1.5 years at about $20MM per x 2 to include the tax. (When I write it out and see the figures, it sounds even more preposterous). But there's that crazy idea that they would get ticker tape parades for making the playoffs.

a crazy twist on that one is JO+Kapono for Marbury+Curry+Gallinari. With this we immediately drop $20MM off the books this summer, no longer carry kapono. And would end up with fat Curry for two years at about $10+$11MM (his options, which its nearly certain he'd take). Plus we'd get a promising lottery pick in Gallinari.

Yes Curry sounds like a nightmare but he only cost like 3-4MM more than Kapono, that's less than what Banks would cost. And if he can be rehabilitated, he's movable, if not serviceable--could turn out to be a steal. It wasn't that long ago that he was playing well. We'd still save more than if we paid JO this year and next. They're so desperate to get rid of Curry and Jefferies too (actually, I'd prefer Jefferies but I went with the worse scenario to show that even that is no totally awful) that they may also throw more deal greasers. for example: the Knicks can't trade their pick because they owe 2010's to Utah but they can swap, therefor, if Toronto can say buy one of Denver's multiple picks or another late pick, that may be able to be turned into the mid-teen Knick pick. Curry and Jefferies also expire in the pretty good FA year of 2011.

whatever...I think I'm losing it.
Why would NY go any further than JO for Marbury? Even this trade is a question mark as Marbury comes off books in few months not next year.

Gallinari is their top draft pick, to deal him for an bet would mean pretty much NY's GM and D'Antoni admittance they screwed up in the last draft.
insight_tor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote